Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Princess Simlin's Reflection

The College Experience

They say that college is where you're supposed to find yourself. Sometimes, it becomes so easy to get lost in the shuffle that one doesn't even realize they're lost. I've lived in predominantly white areas for the majority of my life. It was always strange to have friends that didn't look like me. The few people looked like me who I interacted with throughout my education have been low performers. That was a driving factor in my selection of Howard University for my college education. I've had several family members who have attended Howard and they both recommended it to me highly. Not to mention the other influences who have attended Howard University, all of whom are leading productive lives. I have found my time at Howard thus far to be completely fulfilling. I believe I can infer with great confidence that college will be a thoroughly life changing experience. I can already see my world views are beginning to change and I have hardly begun classes yet. I chose to be a part of the NROTC program because I feel I need the discipline and Being a part of the NROTC program while going through college is something that will be difficult. Challenging myself both mentally and physically is something that I expect of my college experience.

Freshman Seminar
As for this class, freshman seminar, I'm not entirely sure what to think of it yet. Although there was an extensive power point on the materials to be covered in the class I'm not sure how it applies to anything relevant. I'm not sure how this applies to my political science major at all. I know there are some majors who don't have to take this course and I'm not sure how this relates to my major and not others. As of right now, I don't see a point in this class. When I first learned I had to take freshman seminar, that it was a pass/fail class and it was only one credit hour, I was extremely disappointed. Admittedly, I still feel that disappointment. I'm not exactly sure what I'll be learning and I believe that is most likely the cause of my hesitation in the course.

No comments:

Post a Comment