Sunday, August 28, 2011

K'ara Locke- First Self-Reflection

After my first week at Howard, I am excited for the rest of my college experience. The administration is not the greatest, but I knew that before I got here from calling and getting things figured out before I came. I find the courses I am taking very interesting. It is very comfortable being surrounded by so many young black people who are here for the same reasons I am. I look forward to getting involved on campus and balancing my academics and the various social aspects of my life. Coming to Howard, my expectations were mainly of my peers; being from Colorado and and being part of a predominately white IB program, I was looking forward to being around intelligent black people while being immersed in the culture of the Mecca. My expectations have definitely been met. Although, I do not know a lot of people yet, Howard still has a family feel to it and I am looking forward to getting to know more people.

From Freshman Seminar, I hope to gain a new solid foundation of a different kind of knowledge to which I will always be able to build on. From this course, I am expecting to learn a lot about our culture and find a new appreciation for learning via research. I think this course will be fascinating and I hope to take a lot from it. My academic goals are to truly learn and retain all the information I am exposed to and gain a base of knowledge to build on to. I think Freshman Seminar will help me reach these goals because the goals of the course are centered around a pursuit of knowledge through many avenues. Thus if I can get the projected outcome out of this course, I can reach my own goals simultaneously.

"Omoluabi" seems the most interesting to me. Learning about self actualization and communal responsibility intrigues me. I am also looking forward to the lecture on "Abandonment and Dismemberment." I am interested in viewing slavery from their perspective since I have only ever seen it from the perspective of someone else. Overall, I think I am really going to like this course as a whole.


No comments:

Post a Comment