Friday, August 26, 2011

Sierra Williams- My Reflection

My first week at Howard University was a great experience. Everywhere you walked there was someone part of the Howard community that was there to welcome you to the Mecca. From day one i have been very excited to be here. Being at Howard i know will bring me many opportunities to succeed in life. The only downsides to the week I would say were waiting in long lines to take care of things like financial aid, medical holds ; and even waiting for shuttles to go to parties. I think freshman seminar will be a chance to learn things that I won't learn in my other courses. I feel as though it will be more real world knowledge that I can benefit from.

After being in classes for a week I can see that college will be all about time management . It will be a balance between socializing and school work, with more focus on the school work. I expect freshman seminar to have interesting and beneficial lectures. I know there will be serious lectures as well. The "abandonment and dismemberment" lecture seems like it will be interesting. I learned about slavery but i think this lecture will help fill in the gaps to know every fact and every effect the enslavement of Africans has had on the world. I think that lecture is the one i am looking most forward too. "omoluabi" is a lecture that i think i will be comfortable with and it seems to be an interesting topic.

The goals of Freshman seminar will help me meet my academic goals because I like the constant reminder that i should be committed to academic excellence and that i am part of the legacy and tradition of Howard University, and all of the other values that Howard instills. For the most part, i have expected what i have come across at Howard, and i am excited to continue being a part of this community.

No comments:

Post a Comment