Tuesday, August 23, 2011

My Self Reflection

My first week at Howard was extremely different to say the least. The experience of being on your own far from home is a task within itself. However, Howard University has open its doors with open arms during my first week, and it has truly been a blessing to have this opportunity. I have a love/hate feeling towards living in dorms. I love being able to meet new people and work on my own, but I hate having to share bathrooms/bedrooms with complete strangers. Outside of the dorms, it has been rather difficult to enjoy yourself without money. All of the parties and get togethers seemed to cost money directly or indirectly. I really wanted to go out and meet the members of the class, but I also had to consider spending money on necessities. The freshman class at Howard University was already facing very difficult decisons. After attending class for a week, I believe I will become more comfort as a student at Howard University.

I felt that I had a very bad first impression with my Freshman Seminar course. Being in large classes is already something that I knew I wouldn't like because there never seems to be any organization. However, the lecture showed me that this class will have somewhat of an interest to me after I heard Dr. Williams quote W.E.B. DuBois. I expect Freshman Seminar to give me the foundation and the guidance towards a successful tenure at Howard University. The lectures should present more than just facts and information, but rather life lessons that you carry with you after you graduate. I believe the lecture on "Abandonment and Dismemberment" will be the most interesting to me because I've always wanted to learn about African history prior to slavery, but I never saw the opportunity in my secondary education. Omulabi is the lecture that I look forward to because it will show how education is attained through academic knowledge and character, something very similar to what Martin Luther King Jr. had said about education. 

Freshman Seminar will help me work towards my goals because it will show me that college isn't just about your academic knowledge. It will show me that my values, character, and education will bring me total success. Freshman Seminar will remind me of the struggles that have occured throughout African American history and how much of a blessing it is to have this opportunity. As I continue through college, I expect to get better at life everyday. What I have done so far is great, but this is only the beginning for me.

1 comment:

  1. The blue highlighting makes it hard to read, you should probably change the color if you're going to highlight it.

    ReplyDelete