Sunday, September 25, 2011

Amber Spencer: African Burial Grounds

I found the lecture on the African burial grounds that Professor Mack gave extremely riveting.
I thought it was amazing how the people who studied the grounds were able to tell so much about the people who were buried there. It is intriguing how looking at the remains of people can tell you so much about their life. It was also amazing how you could learn so much about how each person was put to rest. I believe that this is special ground and it should therefore be saved and not built over. So much history lies there.
I think that by visiting the actual grounds would make the situation more real to me. Seeing the place in which my ancestors were buried and understanding how they were buried would be an eye-opener to me, and I think that I would be able to benefit greatly from that experience. I'm glad that Howard gives us this type of opportunity!
I think that it is great that Howard chose to save these remains, not only to study them for knowledge, but also because I personally believe that it is morally proper to save these remains. The origins of these people are so important and more people should learn more about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment