Sunday, September 4, 2011

K'ara Locke- "Learning, Wisdom and the African Experience"

Dr. Carr’s lecture on “Learning, Wisdom, and the African Experience” was a completely new concept for me and I loved it. He presented us with various points about learning, wisdom and knowledge pertaining to black people and our African ancestors. The few that stuck out the most to me were “the ground rules for intellectual work,” the “relationship of learning, wisdom, and knowledge,” and the idea that everything since slavery is not progress for black people.

I found the “ground rules for intellectual work” a fascinating concept. You have to be present in time and not just space; when you are aware of the time you are not present. Although I never thought being present as more than physically being present, it’s very logical concept. You have to read and write to learn, it personally helps me retain new information.

The relationship of learning, wisdom and knowledge was not necessarily new information; I had just never had it presented it to me so clearly and easy to remember. It was easy for me to reflect on how important it is to retain all the information I learn. I have never thought about the history of African-Americans as starting with the beginning of humanity; I have always looked at it as beginning with the slavery. Our history did not begin with slavery, thus we have not necessarily made progress as much as we have overcome a bump in the road. That was a new way of looking at the history of humanity, and I like this perspective much better. Overall, I found this lecture very informative and interesting. I view life through a new set of eyes now.

No comments:

Post a Comment