Sunday, September 4, 2011

Sierra Williams- "Learning, Wisdom, and the African Experience"

One point of the lecture that I thought was key was Education: “The Great Equalizer”… If learning is linked to Wisdom. I agree with this statement, and I believe that modern day African Americans have the ability to achieve great things. If we take the time to look at history, it is evident that African and African Americans have done a lot more than is apparent to the rest of the world. It is important to always keep an open mind because there are always opportunities to learn something new.

Connected with this are the ground rules of intellectual work. It is imperative that African Americans don’t fall into the stereotypes that are commonly put upon us, and it’s an essential part of our daily lives to rise above those stereotypes. It is critical that we follow the ground rules. Dr. Greg Carr talked about “Being present, in time and space, to read, write and speak to after,” and these are all an important part of gaining wisdom. I can identify with this because I have worked hard to get to where I am today, and I know that won’t stop in order to get to where I desire to go. Having a younger brother, I try to instill the ideas in him that he has to work hard, and even harder as an African American male to get where he wants to go in life.

Another point of the lecture was that African history started way before slavery. This is also connected to the African language, and the African American language, which is always changing. Ebonics is something not understood by all, but those who understand are part of a culture. This stood out to me because this is something that can be witnessed everyday. Overall the lecture reinforced many things that I already knew, as well as teaching me things I didn’t know about my culture. I can say that I identify with the African Experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment