Sunday, September 11, 2011

K'ara Locke - "Omoluabi"

From Dr. Gbadegesin lecture, the break down of the terms stuck out the most to me. Omoluabi, iwa and ijuba are the few that made me reflect on what I don't do enough in my life and also that I could apply to my own life with the most ease.
Omoluabi is "a child begotten of the chief of iwa" (Dr. Gbadegesin). From the lecture I took the meaning of omoluabi as someone who is very selfless and takes all their own knowledge and applies it to the their life to better the rest of the world and help everyone else out; someone that has no limit when it comes to helping someone out or making something better for the next person. I like omoluabi because I want to be a pediatrician and as a doctor I want to be able to push myself past my limit to help people and make their lives better. It will make me that much better as a doctor.
Iwa is having good character and is essential to your enduring existence. The story that Dr. Gbadegesin told us help us understand iwa was very helpful and I truly feel like I understand what it means to have good iwa. Iwa helped me understand how everything one does really does define who they are and how they are viewed by society. which is why having good iwa is important.
Ijuba literally means homage (Dr. Gbadegesin). It is important to pay homage to everything and everyone because without such seemingly small parts of your life, you would not function the same. Everything is important regardless how small. This was a good reminder because it is so easy to forget and take things for granted and i don't want to do that.
Dr. Carr and Dr. Gbadegesin's lectures both were about how important it is to apply your knowledge and share it with your community. Having them back back emphasizes the importance of this concept.

No comments:

Post a Comment