Sunday, September 25, 2011

K'ara Locke - Convocation

Dr. Michael L. Lomax was the keynote speaker for Howard University’s 144th opening convocation ceremony. He really stressed the importance of Historically Black Colleges and Universities in the US. He emphasized how we all to work together to bring each other up so that we are all on one accord. There are strong HBCUs and there are weak HBCUs, but we all have to work together to be as powerful as we are capable of. And for this to happen “Great colleges must not be complacent, they must welcome the struggle to become stronger.”

The quote that put the wheels of my mind in motion was, “We cannot afford to lose any more black colleges. [They] need to all perform at the top of their game.” I think this hit home a little because this is why I choose to come to Howard. I knew I wanted to go to an HBCU but I didn’t want to go to a ‘weak’ one; I wanted to be at the most prestigious, not one that was close to falling off the edge. But we have to all work together to strengthen the weaker ones and eventually all be strong.

Dr. Lomax has been doing his part as the president of the United Negro College Fund and now it will soon be our turn as HU alumni to give back to our alma mater to keep it strong. Especially since not enough HBCU alumni do; a mere 11% give back, and that is not enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment