Sunday, September 25, 2011

K'ara Locke - African Burial Grounds

As I listened to Professor Mack’s lecture, I found myself very pleasantly surprised. I was impressed first, with the amount of information the team, that did the excavation, was able to gather from studying their bodies and how they were put to rest. There is still so much that we, as students, are not taught or even guided in the right direction to teach ourselves. They went so in depth with this project; they were able to find even the minutest details about their lives, rituals, the level of humanity that they showed towards one another and several other things.

Although many aspects of the project don’t sit well with me, i.e. excavating these people’s remains to study them and the fact that they built over much of the cemetery fully aware of it. I am excited to go see the monument so I can see it for myself and just explore and let my mind wander. I think it amazing that HU was asked to play such a big role in this project. It definitely makes me look forward to all the opportunities that will come my way throughout my time studying here at Howard. There is so much about African culture that we are just so unaware of but a good amount of it affects our daily lives and we would never know it.

No comments:

Post a Comment