Thursday, November 17, 2011

Amber Spencer: Common Text evening with Isabel Wilkerson

I attended the Isabel Wilkerson event on Monday, November 14. I am very grateful that I was able to attend. This event gave me better understanding of the book, The Warmth of Other Suns, as well as helped me understand the period of time that the events in the novel took place.
One thing that Isabel Wilkerson stated that stuck out to me, was how without the Great Migration, many things and people that exist today would not have come about. For example, she spoke about the cultural aspects that would not be available such as certain types of music as well as people that we may even know personally. Without this Great Migration, I would not even be here right now. The fact that she made this point allowed me to be more grateful and respectful to my ancestors who gave up so much for a better life.
Also, she mentioned how passing a white motorist was illegal and you could get lynched for that. I was appalled at this fact. It was definitely a major eye-opener. I always knew that African Americans would get lynched for reasons that they should not have, but not being able to pass someone else on the road, no matter how slow they may be traveling, seems ridiculous. It disgusts me that African Americans were punished so harshly for such small things.
I am extremely thankful to the sacrifices my ancestors made for me. I am also thankful that Isabel Wilkerson wrote such a well-written and intriguing book that allowed my eyes to be opened to an interesting topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment