Sunday, November 27, 2011

Group Presentation Reflection -Princess

There was a group I enjoyed in particular that talked about the necessity of HBCUs in today's society. Despite the common misconception that they are unnecessary, they are proven to continue to help blacks be successful in this eurocentric country. A lot of what was shown in that presentation rang true for myself. For example, I chose to apply to only HBCUs because, having gone to primarily white and asian schools, I wanted to be around successful black people. It is extremely empowering to be around other black students who have similar goals.
I found the presentation about ebonics to be extremely interesting. I never thought of it as a separate language. I suppose that would explain many things about the unsuccessful education of the African American youth in our society. I'm still not entirely sure that I believe that idea because it seems so foreign to me. I'll have to look into it more.
The group presentations were overall rather interesting.
Princess Jenkins-Simlin

No comments:

Post a Comment