Sunday, November 27, 2011

English Common Text evening with Isabel Wilkerson- Sierra Williams

One of the main points that Isabel Wilkerson talked about was he inspiration for the book and why she wrote it in the first place. Isabel Wilkerson was a product of the Great Migration. He parents both migrated to Washington, DC, and met at Howard University. Wilkerson made a point to say that “if it wasn’t for the Great Migration and Howard University, I would not be around.” That is something I didn’t know before going to the talk with Isabel Wilkerson.
Another point Wilkerson made was to describe in depth the details about the Great Migration. It was the migration of six million African Americans from the South to the North for better opportunities.
Something that I thought was very interesting was that people really came from all over during the Great Migration. She said that it affected every single family for the most part. I didn’t think that it affected my family. My father is from the West Indies and my mother from Philadelphia, but then I thought back further and I remember that my Great Grandmother was from the south. The Great Migration was a good thing , because it benefited many families.
The talk with Isabel Wilkerson impacted my understanding, by thinking deeply about how these are true stories that can connect to many people from all over.

No comments:

Post a Comment