Sunday, October 9, 2011

Amber Spencer: Miss Evers' Boys

I attended the production "Miss Evers' Boys" this past week, and I'm glad that I got the opportunity to see it. Not only did the actors do great, but the plot of the story was also intriguing. It was basically about a research study dealing with Syphilis in black males. The point of the study was to see if blacks responded the same way as whites to the effects of the disease. Hundreds of the subjects died due to mistreatment.
I find this entire situation horrible. How can someone sit and watch a large group of people, black or not, die due to a disease that could have been cured? It seems almost not human. Using humans as guinea pigs for research, is completely immoral. Some respect can be lost towards the government and to those who knew about the study, but let them die anyways. I wonder why they would choose to let the blacks die and treat the whites. I wonder this because I don't fully understand what this study could have possibly proven effectively. And whatever was proven through this experiment, was it worth the loss of hundreds of innocent black people? I feel as though it was not. When they saw that so many people were being affected negatively, they should have stopped the experiment and cured the people who were infected.

No comments:

Post a Comment